Monday, May 24, 2010

Trio Bike

I biked my usual path today and came across an unusual sight right on Grand Street.  It's called "Trio Bike."  It's a bicycle with a front mounted carrier that accommodates two children.  I saw a man on the bike with two children and a small dog in the front carrier.  It looked comfortable, spacious, and stable, unlike the rear-mounted child seats that looks like none of these things.  The gentleman mentioned that "Trio Bikes" were from Denmark and all seemed content.  I peddled away thinking that it was very nice, but this isn't Denmark or Holland and riding with children in traffic is an unnecessary risk.  No doubt the rider is extra careful, but they don't call 'em accidents for nothing.  I prefer to risk myself alone and leave the insurance money for the wife and kids, if it comes to that.  All the same, it looks like a great carrier and it detaches for use as a stroller, though it seems large and unwieldy for the purpose.   It looks like great fun for family recreation. 

3 Comments:

At June 20, 2010 at 3:31 AM , Blogger etherealglimpse said...

Ah I was about to say, I've seen those in amsterdamn. Big biker communities on that side of the world. I think we are a tad bit off but I'm glad of the strides we are making. Cool blog. Keep it going. Maybe I'll start my own and hopefully that'll help nyc gain a bigger biker following. NYC needs way more people to accept bikers as part of their enviroment. I really feel like painted bike lanes on the street are a joke. I might as well drive in the car lane but I'm too scared of that still. I need time to adjust.

 
At June 20, 2010 at 7:31 AM , Blogger justaperson said...

I'm really divided on bike lanes. I think they may be helpful to some people--they do help carve out a little space on the right for a cyclist, which is an important beginning. I just feel that for a bicycle to serve as a full-fledged commuter vehicle it needs to be able to use the entire road and bike lanes are not designed to do that--they are actually confining. Why? To keep us and the motorist away from each other is what I think. The two white lines you describe are solid whites lines which we cyclists are not supposed to traverse. It wouldn't be so bad except that that location isn't always a good spot.

 
At June 20, 2010 at 7:44 AM , Blogger justaperson said...

By the way, I think it's pretty cool that you've been to Holland. I thought the Trio Bike was cool, but not a concept we are really ready for, yet. It's probably great for the suburbs, which has more recreational cycling space and is probably safer generally, on weekends.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home