Thursday, April 29, 2010

Getting Ready for the 5 Boro Bike Tour

I took the train today. I was quickly reminded why I am such an avid biker. Upon entry to the #7 train at the 61st Street station in Woodside, I got shoved and packed in in the most unceremonious fashion. I felt my temper flaring and quickly began thinking it's just for a day or two--I switched trains to advantage at Queensboro Plaza and the rest of the ride was fine. I felt bad for thinking so ill of our system so quickly. It was still slower than biking, but it is nice to have the option. I used the option because I figured it was wise to rest up before the Five Boro Bike Tour on Sunday. I didn't really have time to train for it. Yes, I am a regular biker, but cycling 14-15 miles a day isn't the same as cycling 42-44miles in a day. I figure the next best thing is to rest up and save my strength.

I am also wondering which bike I am going to ride. I've been really tired lately. True I don't sleep as well as I should, but that usually doesn't do it. Anyway I haven't had the time to work on my bike that I need. It needed a bit. I planned to change the handlebar stem, switch the tires from the front to the back and vice versa, as well as put a new wrap on the handlebars and clean the chain. I'm sure there is more. Oh yes, I forgot the big job: overhauling the bottom bracket, which was complicated by the need for new caged bearings and a difficult to remove crank. I honestly don't think I can get it all done in time. Thus, it will be the Sears bike in action--it's in pretty good shape and only minor adjustments are needed.

I am really looking forward to the event. It will be my first time, which is a little surprising after all these years living in this city. It's too late to register for it now, but there are events organized by Transportation Alternatives (http://www.transalt.org/events/calendar) that are not too late to participate in like the "Tour De Brooklyn" or Queens or the Bronx. I hope to bring my son to those and to enjoy some good rice and beans, plantains and chicken at the end of that last one--heck the last two promise some good eats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home