Thursday, February 16, 2012

Becoming a Vegetarian?

Of late, I have been thinking of both health and sustainability, and oh yes--those PETA commercials!  PETA strikes me a female dominated organization and these ads are a little surprising.  I think they are simply trying to lure us guys to their lifestyle with sex--how typical, assuming guys will do anything for sex.  Anyway, for unrelated reasons, I've been thinking I should try becoming a vegetarian.  The inefficiency of meat eating is hard to justify.  In a world of shrinking resources and a booming population its even harder to accept the waste that our meat-heavy lifestyle is based on.  I am not squeamish about eating animals, though I prefer they be slaughtered as considerately as possible.  They weren't going to live forever anyway.  I also prefer that their quality of life before death be pretty good as well.  Its good for the meat and better for my conscience.  I don't plan to become a total vegetarian or a vegan--my health comes first.  I am planning to start by eliminating meat from breakfast and lunch, which is pretty easy, I think.  I started a few days ago and so far so good.  I plan on including dairy, eggs and fish.  I probably will not object to free-range chicken or meat on occasion, but who knows, excluding it may really take.

2 Comments:

At February 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM , Blogger Will K said...

I think moderation is pretty much the way to go with everything. I agree with a lot about what you say about the meat industry, but it's not possible for everyone to either live on a farm or not eat meat at all. It is, what one might call, a necessary evil.
I feel kind of the same about my car. I drive as little as possible, but I can't stop driving altogether. I have a folding bike that I keep in my trunk, and I basically do the long drive in to town, and then run all my errands by bike. Can't quite cut out the carbon emissions altogether, but it's the best way I know to reduce them

 
At February 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM , Blogger justaperson said...

If we just ate less meat and drove less, it would go along way. I'm glad finding cage free eggs is not difficult for me. As for chicken, there are live poultry places where I can pick out the chicken I want. I can see how they keep the chickens and if they look healthy. Anything that lessens the corporate stranglehold on our lives is good for all of America.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home